Workshops for new breeders will be held in early March 2015
Workshops for new breeders
Topics covered in the one day workshop include.
- Selection of animals.
- Animal care: vaccination, drenching, nail cutting, shearing, pregnancy & birthing, cria care
- Understanding fleece & fleece reports
- Animal behavior, movement, halter training
- Farm setup, pastures, feeding & body scoring animals
- Business plan
Advanced Breeding Workshop with Dr Jim Watts
The advanced breeding workshop will cover topics such as
- Breeding for density and length
- Importance of maintaining a good solid frame
- Evaluating the primary fibre (guard hair) in fleece. Learn how to reduce the micron of these fibres so they are as fine or finer than the secondary fibres as has been demonstrated in sheep and angora goats.
- The reasons for breeding wool with high amplitude crimp and its relevance in the manufacturing industry
- understanding skin test results and their importance in a breeding programme